About Me

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 30, 2013


Pets.webmd has some great simple 1-minute dog training tips.  They are broken down so you can work on sit, down, come or whatever specific command you would like your dog to learn. The earlier you start training the better your chance of success.  Happy Training!

Monday, September 16, 2013


A lot of us are guilty of giving in to those big begging brown eyes.  Before you do, consider whether what you are giving is healthy or dangerous for your dog.  Many foods can be very dangerous to your pooch.

Most people know chocolate is bad for dogs.  It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and possible death.

Grapes and raisins which have often been used as treats for dogs can cause kidney failure.  If you think your dog may have gotten into some, repeated vomiting is an early sign.  The best prevention is to keep them away.

I've heard of many people sharing their ice cream with their beloved pooches.  Although they may love it at the moment, later they will definitely not appreciate the stomach upset and diarrhea which stems from the milk or any milk-based products.

Raw meat and raw fish can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning.  Also there are some fish which contain a parasite that causes fish disease, and if untreated can be fatal.  Symptoms are vomiting, fever and enlarged lymph nodes.  Cooking your fish sufficiently will kill the parasite and protect your dog.

Bones as well as fat trimmed scraps, both cooked and uncooked are both dangerous.  Bones can splinter and cause a laceration or obstruction of the digestive system.  Meat fat can cause pancreatitis in dogs.

Onions and garlic in all forms can destroy a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia.  Symptoms of anemia include vomiting, breathlessness, dullness, weakness, and decreased interest in food.  Even eating small amounts regularly can cause poisoning.

Macadamia nuts can be fatal to a dog.  Symptoms of poisoning include weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, muscle tremors, vomiting, increased heart rate.

Xylitol which can be found in candy, gum, baked goods, and some sugar substitute items is highly toxic to dogs, causing low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and possible death.

This is just a few of the dangerous foods to be aware of for your dog.  For a more extensive list see http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html and think carefully before giving handouts to those big begging eyes.